Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and many of us are preparing grocery lists for our favorite meals: sweet potatoes for that sweet potato pie, five different cheeses for that good ol’ baked macaroni n cheese, and the list goes on and on and on! Due to the recent weather change, many curly girls are also dealing with the harshness that the Winter season does to our hair. Currently, the temperature in New York is below average at 39 degrees. What many of us don’t realize is that some of the best natural hair treatments are the very same ingredients listed right on our grocery lists.
So before you walk out of your supermarket of choice with shopping bags in tow, try adding one or more of the following food items into your grocery cart to help restore your hair:
- Mayonnaise: A key ingredient for potato salad, but also a great hair mask, especially when mixed with olive oil.
- Eggs: Used for many recipes including Mac’ n Cheese, pies, and cakes, but also used to add protein on hair. Protein treatments help to strengthen your hair to keep it from breakage. This treatment can be applied to your hair once a month.
- Honey: A great alternative to sugar and a good safe way to add moisture to your hair. You can use this item alone as a hair mask or add it to your favorite shampoo and/or conditioner.
- Olive oil: This item is one of the best healthy oil options for cooking. It’s also very useful on your scalp by massaging it throughout your head to help or prevent an itchy scalp and promote hair growth.
- Avocado: This produce is another effective hair mask, which adds moisture to both your hair strands and scalp. We don’t commonly see this used for Thanksgiving meals, but hey it wouldn’t hurt to add this fruit (mistakenly called a vegetable) to your meals, especially since its high in good fat! Simply mash and mix a whole avocado in a bowl and apply to hair from root to ends. Let the mixture sit on your head for 30 minutes or sit under the dryer for 15 minutes, then rinse out thoroughly.
The best part of these hair treatments is that they are inexpensive and you could use the remaining ingredients for cooking. It’s like the saying “killing two birds with one stone”. So, you could have your house smelling good, your stomach feeling full, and your hair looking FAB!